Tuesday, March 1, 2011

haunted house

Oriana and I went to LA this weekend on business and pleasure. Got to hang out with some of our friends and finally go to Disney land (Oriana's been bugging me for years to take her). I really dig animatronics. This is something my friends Tanio and Wade got me into, they are the guys I do the pinball machines with. Pirates of the Caribbean was amazing, almost a half hour ride! I feel like I'm the last person to ever see this, haha. People have been talking about it for years and for some reason I turned a blind ear to it passing it off as another roller coaster. And no it wasn't, it was amazing, so amazing that we went twice.
Getting down to this post, the thing I was most excited about was the haunted house. I went when I was a kid. My folks took me to Disney world in Florida and the haunted house was forever burned into my mind. My favorite part of the ride is the octagon room. I did a little research on the haunted mansion and to my surprise there is allot of info out there.
I've compiled a few interesting short clips from youtube as well as a few facts and links.
If you have time do a little digging on your own, it's pretty cool.



Photo I took with my iphone.






I could go on and on and forever blog about this but I have to stop and get my ass back to work.
Wik has TONS of info so I put a link at the bottom of this post.
Here is the Octagonal Room. The walls stretch, it's rad.

(Facts from wikipedia)
Octagonal Room
Disneyland and Disneyland Paris
In the Disneyland version and the Phantom Manor, the room is, in fact, an elevator. The room is lowered slowly as the ceiling remains in place to give the illusion that the room is stretching. This brings the guests down to where the ride begins, below ground level. This elevator effect was necessary to lower the guests below the level of the railroad which circles Disneyland. The actual ride building of this attraction is located outside the berm surrounding the park, and the Disney Imagineers developed this mechanism to lower the guests to the gallery leading to the ride building.
Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland:
Guests enter a chamber in which the floor is stationary while the ceiling itself rises, as do the portraits. As both rides (Florida and Tokyo) were built on stable ground, there was no need to lower guests down and out of the park. For the 2007 refurbishment, Walt Disney World's stretch room was given new wallpaper and stretching sounds. After the stretching sequence, as guests exit, they can hear the gargoyles whisper.
Disneyland Paris
Instead of the regular portraits, guests see four portraits of Melanie. In the first one, Melanie steps through a stream. In the second, she holds a parasol, in the third, she picks flowers, and in the fourth, she is having a picnic with her fiance. As the room stretches:
Melanie steps through a stream, and reaching for her foot is a hand, connected to a water monster.
Melanie clutches a parasol, while in a boat, above a vertical waterfall.
Melanie picks flowers, above a gravestone, while a skeleton emerges from the ground.
Melanie is having a picnic with her fiance, as ants raid their food, and a snake, scorpion, spider and water beetle approach.
The skeleton of the groom, hung in the rafters in the ceiling over the stretching room, replaces the hanged version of the Ghost Host.

Tons of info here.
Haunted Mansion Wikipedia