Monday, May 5, 2008

Laser Discs



Laser Discs! Yup, the giant CD dinosaur movie format.
I'm not going to get into the zorky history of the LD, but just wanted to post this.
I had always admired them but they were very obscure and pricey in Canada.
That all changed when I moved to San Francisco back in '03 and had a studio 1 block from Amoeba music. Tucked away in the corner of the movies room is the LD section.
It's packed with great films and are usually under $3!
I got my player for $30 on Craig's list.
People kind of look at me funny when I tell them I collect LD's, or they don't know what the hell your talking about.
LD's died off in the late 90's but left a huge trail of films available.
They made pretty much everything on LD.
It's kinda funny to see other people digging in the LD's at Amoeba, I'm like "I wonder if that's the guy who bought the last copy of Barfly?"